Do I need a permit?

A building permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change in the use of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any gas, mechanical, electrical or plumbing system, or other equipment. The city enforces the Minnesota State Building Code and contracts with Metro West Inspection Services to conduct plan reviews and inspections.    

What type of permit do I need?
Several permit checklists and additional permit information and resources are available to help you with your project under the Construction Services and Inspections web pages or by visiting Permit Checklists and Supplements.

What building work is exempt from a permit?
- One story tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses (ex. gazebos or pergolas) < 200 square feet
Fences < 7 feet high*
Retaining walls < 4 feet high**
Sidewalks and **driveways
Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting
Cabinets, countertops and similar finish work
Prefabricated swimming pools < 24 inches deep
Swings and playground equipment
Window awnings that project < 54 inches
Decks and platforms < 30 inches above grade, not attached to dwelling and not serving required exit door
*(A Zoning permit may be required, contact Planning and Zoning).
**(A Land Disturbance permit may be required).

Who do I contact for building code related questions?
Contact the City's contracted Building Official, Metro West Inspection Services at 763-479-1720.

What are the requirements for size, height, setbacks, architectural standards, etc.?
Contact Planning and Zoning for questions regarding zoning requirements or view the Corcoran City Municipal Code -- Zoning Ordinance, Title X, Sec. 1030.020.

Additional questions?
Contact [email protected].


How do I apply for a permit?

All permits are required to be submitted through the Online Permit Portal. Application for permit should be submitted well in advance of the scheduled start date. Account registration is required for all homeowners and contractors applying for a permit. A step-by-step Online Permit Application Guide is available for online registration, application and payment instructions guidance. 

What permits are applied for online?
A complete list of permits can be found on the Apply for Permit page.

How much time does it take to review an application?
Residential permits such as reroofing, residing, window & door replacement, air conditioner & furnace replacement, gas line, gas fireplace, water heater & water softener replacement are issued without review. Permits requiring plan review may take up to 15 working days to approve. Review time may vary based on the complexity of the project and/or the completeness of the construction documents. If plans are incomplete or additional information is required, it may extend the plan review process.  

Who is responsible to obtain the permit?
The person who submits application for permit is responsible for completing the work correctly. When using a licensed contractor, the contractor submits application for permit on behalf of the homeowner.

Where can I find information on my contractor and/or file a complaint?
The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry helps homeowners ensure the construction industry professional they have hired is licensed, and if something goes wrong, investigate complaints. Visit www.dli.mn.gov/workers/homeowners for more information.


What are the permit fees?

For a complete list of fees view the Building Permit Fee Schedule. Fees are paid at the time of permit issuance. Permit valuation is set by the Building Official and is based on the total value of all construction work, including labor and materials.

What are the permit holder responsibilities?
- Permit on job site
- Approved plans on jobsite
- Call for inspection
- Provide access for inspection
- Compliance with code

How long is a permit valid?
Permits expire within 180 days of issuance if no work is started, and no inspections have been called in or if work has been suspended for more than 180 days with no inspections.

How do I cancel a permit and/or request refund?
Submit a written request for cancellation to [email protected]. If work has not started and the permit is not expired, permit fee will be refunded minus any plan review fees and a $25 permit cancellation fee.

What is an escrow required for Land Disturbance permits?
An escrow is a refundable financial security held for most land disturbance and grading projects. Escrow is held until project is complete and permanent erosion control (vegetation) is established. Escrow amount is determined by the size and complexity of the project. 


What must be available on the jobsite?

A copy of the permit and the approved construction documents must be kept on the jobsite and available for all inspections until completion of the project. 

Why do I need an inspection?

Inspections are required by state law and by City Ordinance for any work that requires a permit. Inspections assure that your project:
- Meets safety requirements
- Complies with state law and city codes
- Follows the approved plan

How do I schedule an inspection?
Contact the city's contracted Building Official, Metro West Inspection Services at 763-479-1720. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to call for the required inspections.


Where can I search for information on a property's permit or inspection history?

Search for permit or inspection history (2013- current) by using the online Records Search. Any inquiries for permits records prior to 2013 contact [email protected].

Are lot surveys available?
The city has some lot surveys located in the property address files available for homes built after 2000. To request a survey, email [email protected].

How do I find property lines?
Permanent corner iron monuments should be located below the sod level, in the ground of each legally divided parcel of land. Locating the corner iron monuments is the responsibility of the property owner. The corner iron monument can be found by using a certificate of survey and a metal detector or contact a registered land surveyor to located and expose the monuments or replace any missing pins. 
City of Corcoran | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.